Dementia as Social Experience: An Introductory Workshop (DRW1)
FEBRUARY TO APRIL 2021
About the Event
Time involved: One and a half hours (90 minutes) Cost: FREE When: WEEKLY OPTIONS - SEE DATES BELOW
Dementia changes the ways people engage with each other over time. Dementia care is distinctive, and so is the support carers need. There are no typical pathways, no simple care recipes, no instructions. But we can become more informed and develop new skills, we can be understanding rather than fearful, sad but positive. This Introductory Workshop look at: what is meant by ‘dementia’, how and why dementia affects a person; what is required of carers to creatively adapt and respond. It provides a taste of what will be covered in the focussed workshops.
Designed for: Carers of people with dementia (partners, family members, friends, neighbours, professional care workers), people with dementia, community members who want to become dementia-aware.
This workshop will bring you an introductory understanding of:
- What is meant by ‘dementia’, and how our brains are affected, in simple, non-medical terms;
- The changes that take place in abilities and perceptions, and why and how carers can learn to respond;
- The progress of dementia in terms of states rather than stages, and how this enables informed, supportive care;
- Dementia as a relationship that changes everyone – and why that is important to living well.
You will gain:
- Positive and affirming ways to think about dementia and dementia care;
- Ideas that can be followed up in more in-depth workshops;
- Access to the notes from the workshop;
- Access to the weekly free Let’s Talk online carer sessions: an opportunity to be part of an online community of carers supporting each other. Join each week or just when you feel like it.
CHOOSE YOUR DATE - OPTIONS AVAILABLE:
Mondays, 10am – 11.30am, starting 11 May 2020 (except 8 June)
Alternate Mondays, 3.30pm – 5 pm, starting 4 May 2020
Thursdays, 7pm – 8.30pm, starting 7 May 2020
Note: This is an interactive workshop in real time. If you cannot set aside the whole time, please choose a different date. If you can’t make these times , let us know and we will see what we can do!
HOW TO REGISTER:
1. Send an email to: email@example.com with your preferred date.
2. Ring us on 0418.220888
We will respond with your zoom invitation.
If the workshop is fully subscribed (we only take about 8-10 per workshop), we will ask you to select a different date.
- Monday 11th May$0$00$0
- Monday 12th May$0$00$0